We have some big news to share! EZR’s renovation of the Idlewild House in Midtown Memphis has been named a 2016 Building Memphis Awards finalist in the “Best Conversion/Renovation Project (Less Than $5 Million)” category. Our entire team is thrilled by this honor.
Presented by the Memphis Business Journal, the Building Memphis Awards honor commercial real estate projects that have created a positive community impact in the areas of investment, new jobs, environmental leadership, renovation or revitalization.
Honoring the Hard Work of Our Renovation Team
The Memphis Business Journal so eloquently states the importance of the Building Memphis awards in this article announcing the finalists:
“Deeper even than the buildings themselves, however, the Building Memphis Awards were formed to acknowledge those who created the projects. Just as every building exterior is buttressed by unseen steel girders, wall studs, joists and foundations, construction projects are the amalgamation of the hopes, dreams and hard work of a score of hands, from the developer to the architects, engineers and designers; from the general contractors and subcontractors to the interior designers and landscapers; and from the brokers to the bank lenders.”
True to that statement, our renovation of this historic Midtown Memphis home was the combined effort of many outstanding individuals and organizations:
- It all started with our long-time client and partner, Bennett Rudorfer, who purchased the property, entrusting us to conceive and carry out the vision for this project.
- Suntrust Bank provided the financing for the project.
- When we encountered some zoning challenges, Solomito Land Planning came to the rescue, ultimately securing this property a single family home provision on the PUD.
- As they have so many times in the past, our trusted contractor, HCCI Construction, worked incredibly hard to bring this project to life with the highest quality, the ability to solve any problem, and all-important attention to detail.
- For EZR Management’s part, we designed and helped execute the renovation using our knowledge of the area, the rental market, and an eye toward the future. I acted as the lead project manager and my staff began to joke that I lived at the Idlewild House! Seeing the transformation from start to finish was rewarding — and managing the property as a rental home at the very top of the market has been the cherry on top.
About the Midtown Memphis Idlewild House Renovation Project
The Idlewild House project was an effort to transform a historic Midtown home, built in 1901, previously occupied by Garbo’s Women’s Consignment Store into a luxury rental property.
We applied our unique philosophy regarding property renovation and management to ensure everything about the home was suited to the Millennial Midtown dweller.
To achieve that goal, here are just a few of the renovations we made:
- We converted the property from 1.5 bathrooms to 2.5 bathrooms (more appropriate for a large, four-bedroom house), adding a luxurious, modern bathroom with dual sinks, jacuzzi soaking tubs, subway tile walls, and basket weave flooring.
- When the property was used as a retail space, there was no kitchen, so we built one from scratch. We moved a wall to create a huge eat-in space with granite countertops and lots of cabinet space. Stainless steel appliances added a modern element to the kitchen.
- We reduced energy usage and costs with high-efficiency HVAC, LED lighting, brand new electrical, and more.
Contributing to the Revitalization of Midtown Memphis
Ultimately, this renovation created a beautiful and unique rental property—with both a historic feel and modern, high-end features. It’s also a property that helps contribute to the amazing resurgence going on in Midtown Memphis right now.
It’s not uncommon to see several renovation projects while passing through Midtown, and there’s a newly “flipped’ historic property available to rent every day. What makes the Idlewild House unique is the caliber of the renovation. We’re proud that down to the last detail, this home caters to individuals looking for a more high-end rental option.
Along with some other properties EZR Management has renovated (like this one near Overton Square), we have been on the leading edge of the revitalization in Midtown.
Working with Top Clients and Partners to Make a Positive Impact
We’re incredibly proud of our work on the Idlewild House renovation, and we’re very honored and thankful the property has been recognized by Memphis Business Journal as a Building Memphis Award finalist.
Along with the great team of people we worked with on this project, I also want to thank all the fantastic clients and partners we’ve worked with during the past nine years. It’s because of you that EZR continues to grow and we have the opportunity to do what we love every day.
The Building Memphis Award winners will be announced at a ceremony at the Memphis Botanic Garden on February 9. Stay tuned to see if we take home the top prize!
About Ryan Edwards
Ryan Edwards is the owner and property manager for EZR Management. He founded the company in 2006, building on his years of experience managing and renting properties.